Friday, July 20, 2007

I Want To Be....Radical

One of my life verses is Romans 12:1&2. It says,
"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind,
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (emphasis mine)
"Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." In our youth group we talk a lot about radical worship, and being a radical Christian. Altogether too often, Christians think of being a living sacrifice as being radical. It's not. This verse says that it is our reasonable service. It doesn't say that that's anything that makes you extra spiritual or something. It's just what you are supposed to be doing.
My desire is to be a radical Christian. Someone that witnesses fearlessly, and with everyone they know. Someone that people can look at and now that they have been, and are in the prescence of God. Someone that makes a difference, and spreads revival wherever they go. Can I do this? No. Can I do this with God? Yes.
Honestly, I know that I have a very very long way to go before I can even begin to be radical. But, that's what I think God has called me to. Verse two says, "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind..." God doesn't call me to be as close to the world as possible, he calls me to be transformed! He calls me to be different. But, he calls me to that and so much more. The last part of the verse is this, "that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." God's good, acceptable, and perfect will is for us to be transformed. And he calls us to live that in front of others, so that they can see what God requires of us.
Altogether too often, Christians (or so they call themselves) don't live differently than the rest of the world. They do exactly what the world does. Lost people see them doing these things, and assume that they aren't any different from them. So, why should they change? They don't have a reason at that point. But, God calls us to live differently, and to let the world see that we live differently. This is your reasonable service.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, another great post (like always)... really something to strive for.
~Emy